Friday, February 7, 2014

Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup

Butternut Squash & Sweet Potato Soup

I generally try to venture outside my comfort zone with at least one item each farmers market trip. Which is how I ended up with a butternut squash sitting in my produce bowl for 3 weeks, before I finally got around to actually cooking it. I had previously tried roasting it for a butternut squash risotto, but found removing the skin to be a slow process when hot, and hard to peel before it was cooked (it broke my peeler..), so I was a little wary of this particular squash variety.  But for this savory soup, I decided to just leave the skin on when I blended it, and due to my Vitamix, a high powered blender, it magically disappeared into my soup. This creamy and slightly sweet soup was filling and scrumptious, perfect for a chilly winter evening! Sorry for not posting a picture of the finished soup, my camera died mid way through..

Ingredients:

1 Butternut Squash
1 large Sweet Potato
1/2 head of Cauliflower
3 Green Onion Stalks
4 cloves of Garlic
32oz Vegtable Broth
1 can Light Coconut Milk
2 tbsp Coconut oil
Olive oil cooking spray
1 tsp Parsley
1/2 tsp Thyme


Directions:

A. Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees

1. Wash the butternut squash, before cutting it in half, remove the seeds and then slice into 1/2 inch thick slices.
2. Cut sweet potato into half inch rounds
3. Spray both lightly with olive oil cooking spray and sprinkle salt and pepper before placing into the oven to roast for 30 minutes, flipping halfway through.


4. Chop onion, mince garlic, roughly chop cauliflower add to pan with coconut oil
5. Saute for 10 minutes on medium heat, stiring often
6. Add in the Thyme and Parsley and vegetable broth
7. Simmer for 10 minutes
8. Remove the butternut squash and sweet potato from the over and place into the blender with your broth mixture
9. Puree until smooth
10. Add the thick mixture back into the pan and slowly stir in the coconut milk until you have reached your desired consistancy.
11. Serve when hot and enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment