I am obsessed with Backyard bowls, which have the most amazing selection of acai bowls in Santa Barbara (http://www.backyardbowls.com/acai_bowls.html) but unfortunately I can't afford to buy one everyday, so I figured as they post their menu online, I can just make them myself! And then tweak them of course to the foods I have on hand or what I prefer! Muchhh cheaper and you feel very accomplished after creating this masterpiece of deliciousness! As an added bonus acai berries are very healthy for you! Score!
1 Samazon Acai berry smoothie pack (found in the frozen fruit section of whole foods, Costco, and most grocery stores)
1 cup of frozen fruit (strawberries, mango, pineapple, etc)
1 cup apple juice
1/2 cup granola
1/2 banana, sliced
1/4 cup Goji berries
Drizzle of honey
- In your blender, I use my Vitamix, (which is probably my most prized possession but more on that later) combine the base ingredients.
- Break up the frozen acai berry smoothie pack before placing it in the blender for ease of blending
- Add in your frozen fruit and half banana
- Pour in one cup of apple juice, you want just enough to ease the blending process but not enough that it becomes a smoothie
- Place your base into a bowl and top with granola
- Chop up your remaining half banana and place it on top of the granola
- Top with remaining fruit and goji berries
- Drizzle with honey for an extra dose of sweetness (totally not necessary)
1/4 cup candied walnuts, chopped
1 cup blackberries
1 cup strawberries, chopped
1 cup blueberries
1 tablespoon of raw organic cacao nibs
Or combine as many of them as you like together, if you are feeling especially indulgent!
Viola! There you have it, a decadent acai berry bowl that will amaze your taste buds!