Thursday, January 16, 2014

Acai Berry Bowl





















I am obsessed with Backyard bowls, which have the most amazing selection of acai bowls in Santa Barbara (http://www.backyardbowls.com/acai_bowls.html) but unfortunately I can't afford to buy one everyday, so I figured as they post their menu online, I can just make them myself! And then tweak them of course to the foods I have on hand or what I prefer! Muchhh cheaper and you feel very accomplished after creating this masterpiece of deliciousness! As an added bonus acai berries are very healthy for you! Score!
Ingredients
Base:
1 Samazon Acai berry smoothie pack (found in the frozen fruit section of whole foods, Costco, and most grocery stores)
1 cup of frozen fruit (strawberries, mango, pineapple, etc)
1/2 banana
1 cup apple juice
Toppings:
1/2 cup granola
1/2 banana, sliced
1/4 cup Goji berries
Drizzle of honey
Instructions:
  1. In your blender, I use my Vitamix, (which is probably my most prized possession but more on that later) combine the base ingredients.
  2. Break up the frozen acai berry smoothie pack before placing it in the blender for ease of blending
  3. Add in your frozen fruit and half banana
  4. Pour in one cup of apple juice, you want just enough to ease the blending process but not enough that it becomes a smoothie
  5. Place your base into a bowl and top with granola
  6. Chop up your remaining half banana and place it on top of the granola
  7. Top with remaining fruit and goji berries
  8. Drizzle with honey for an extra dose of sweetness (totally not necessary)
Other toppings:
1/4 cup candied walnuts, chopped
1 cup blackberries
1 cup strawberries, chopped
1 cup blueberries
1 tablespoon of raw organic cacao nibs
Or combine as many of them as you like together, if you are feeling especially indulgent!

Viola! There you have it, a decadent acai berry bowl that will amaze your taste buds!

1 comment:

  1. This looks more like dessert than breakfast! Wow! I can't wait to try it!

    ReplyDelete