Monday, January 27, 2014

Rainbow Kale Cabbage Salad

As we near the end of January, I realize that while I didn't make any new resolutions this year beyond continuing with my same healthy eating and fitness lifestyle, I have been slacking recently. Mostly this is due to the 4 stitches in my finger, (from of moment of stupidity with a kitchen knife), that I have used as an excuse to not exercise as much as normal. Which is silly as I feel so much better when I workout, but I don't need a new year to become a new me, I just needed to make a conscious decision to get back on track. So with that said, I went to spin tonight and am making this citrusy delicious rainbow kale cabbage salad for dinner! Also I am really excited that this is the first salad recipe on my blog titled the Salad Spoon, you must have been thinking it odd I didn't have one posted yet! I know I did!
Rainbow Kale Cabbage Salad with citrusy sweet vinaigrette

Ingredients:
Serves two
3 cups Kale leaves
1 cup purple cabbage
1 cup shredded regular cabbage
1 cup broccoli slaw
1 medium carrot
1 Persian cucumber
1 small avocado
1 green onion stalk
Chia seeds

Dressing:
1 orange
1 lemon
1 tbsp fresh ginger
1 tbsp honey or agave nectar
8 ounces ounces rice vinegar
2 ounces water
1 ounce olive oil
Salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
  1. Roughly shred the kale into bite size pieces
  2. Chop the remaining ingredients and mix them together in a bowl with the kale
  3. Peel the orange and lemon before placing them in the blender
  4. In your blender (I use my Vitamix) combine the remaining ingredients and blend until smooth
  5. Taste the citrus sweet vinaigrette dressing and season it with the ingredients to taste, more salt, honey, pepper etc
  6. Pour dressing over the salad top with chia seeds and toss until well coated with the dressing!
  7. Enjoy your delicious salad with a spoon knowing you are putting healthy food into your body one bite at a time!
Yes, that's my spoon in the salad bowl!

No comments:

Post a Comment